Questions, my kids were using just regular laptops when they were young. They are a bit older now, and the world's changed in a big way - there were no iPads or tablets when my ds was 8, and to be honest, if we were starting out all over again, I would probably start ds out on an iPad (it's what he uses now, and the apps that are useful for dysgraphic kids have just completely exploded in numbers in the past few years). (OK, maybe not exploded but everything ds used to have to do on the laptop can - with very few exceptions - now be done on the iPad, the iPad is smaller, less obviously "different" when he's in class, lighter to carry around, apps cost much less than software... etc).

Anyway, I forgot to mention that when ds was first diagnosed, our neuropsych recommended scribing as an accommodation (before he learned how to type well enough to keep up) and also recommended that we teach him to print using Handwriting Without Tears at home. HWT didn't work - because we tried it before ds had OT for handwriting. The OT didn't cure his dysgraphia, but it was really important for our ds because it gave ds correct posture, a reasonable pencil grip, and the ability to write semi-legibly without wrist pain.

Our ds didn't use scribing in school, partly because the school wasn't really willing and partly because he also has an expressive language disorder and wasn't able to come up with anywhere near as much written output as Irena's ds can smile But for a young child who *is* able to get thoughts out of their head, scribing is an important accommodation until their typing ability has caught up with their output ability.

I'll also add that although adaptive keyboarding was recommended (and that's what my youngest dd chose and still uses), my ds insisted he learn touch typing - that's just what he wanted to do, and his hands were big enough to be able to use it on a laptop-sized keyboard. He started out using BBC-Mat typing and then used a learn-to-type software package.

polarbear

ps - fwiw, when our ds was first diagnosed we had no idea that dysgraphia can have a familial connection, but one of ds' cousins was diagnosed as dysgraphic and dyslexic within the next year after ds was diagnosed, and I've also since learned that an older cousin is dyslexic - so chances are that genetics are involved for our ds. His grandfather is dead, but in looking back at what I knew of him, I wouldn't be surprised if he was also dyslexic and dysgraphic.