Originally Posted by Sweetie
The whole school (my setting would be a school) would have reading/literature at the same exact time and would be multi aged classes based on reading level.

Same with math and science, to a certain extent, multi aged based on level
Ditto.

There would be a period every day for the children to explore own interests.
Ditto.

My ideal school would have no homework other than a general pleasant request to read each day.
Maybe a bit of regular homework so kids could feel free to bring books home, siblings could see what each other are learning, and parents could stay in the loop.

There would be recess for every child!
Yes! And for PE, kiddos could have an option to focus on life-long fitness. For example, rather than being somewhat limited to exercise provided by participation in team sports during gym classes, students may be free to choose to dance (with possible course offerings in ballroom, tap, jazz, ballet, basic disco, 50's dances, 70's country line dances, square dances).

The grounds would be beautiful too...my son's school has no shade trees...any shade is from a shade tarp thing that cost thousands of dollars.
Yes, and maybe a small veggie garden patch, so interested kiddos can absorb information about the importance between caring for the earth, water, and soil... to the foods we eat... to ultimately our health.

World languages.

And daily optional "show and tell" which is actually practice for public speaking, an important skill.

Hat tip to Sweetie, I piggybacked on your post. smile