Originally Posted by Keinnaf
I doubt the school will care much either to be honest but I have been concerned about dyslexia since starting to try and teach her phonics when she started to learn to read.

The school might not care, but if you have a private report with strong evidence of dyslexia or any other type of learning challenge, you have good data to use to advocate for the services that your dd needs to remediate and accommodate her challenges. There are other things that you'll need to collect to - examples of classwork, your observations on how your dd has learned to read or has been challenge with reading when you've worked with her, comments from your dd - what she feels, etc - and in the case of dyslexia, further testing (most likely some will be or has been recommended by the psych who did the eval) to pinpoint where her reading challenges are originating.

So, while the school may not care, I wouldn't not try to use what you know to advocate. It can be done, and it can be done successfully - there are quite a few of us here who have advocated successfully at school for accommodations and remedial help for our 2e students. There are also many of us who've found that we need to also do some of the remediation/etc privately - but whatever the final mix you come up with, ultimately you will most likely find you have quite a bit of helpful information within the subtest scores and the tester's report.

If you'd like to post subtest scores, there may be more info we can help with. There may also be information we can help with in achievement testing scores too, if you have them.

Best wishes,

polarbear

ps -
forgets what she is supposed to be doing part of the way through doing something (but according to the WISC has exceptional working memory skills)

The forgetting what she is supposed to be doing part of the way through was something that happened all the time with my vision-challenged dd before we realized that she had vision issues.

Last edited by polarbear; 03/15/14 10:39 AM.