IMO, your DS's K teachers are interrupting the CC standards correctly. I don't get the point of labeling K students who can't read basic phonic readers as remedial. Math expectations sound about the same.

(I personally think we need to get rid of desks in K, make it 1/2 day with optional after school care, and let the kids play. I didn't start learning formal math until I was 6.5 and I don't see how that hurt me in any way.)

At a near-by public school, about half of K students come in as "beginning readers" and a handful are fluent readers. We live in a city populated with competitive parents. A lot of them want their children in one of the top two private prep schools and are already plotting on how their children can get a spot in the highly coveted 6 year MD program. Having a child like DD makes us a target because they think they have to get their children to her level for them to be competitive. We've learned to hide DD's precociousness and so relieved that we found a program that is outside of the mainstream culture here.