DD9 took the test back in January as a 4th grader (she is skipped one year) and she did quite well for a 3rd grader but not really DYS level when measured against the 4th grade yardstick. We had her sit for the test to expose her to this kind of testing and here are the results:-

English: 17
Usage/mechanics(1-12): 9
Rhetorical skills (1-12): 10
Mathematics: 14
Reading: 15
Science: 17

Composite: 16

Our main finding was that she needs to learn 'exam technique' as she did not answer all of the questions - not even putting in a place holding guess to be looked at later. Also, (this still burns me up a bit) the proctor insisted that DD use a calculator which she didn't need and she isn't used to one.

When she had a problem involving negative numbers she wasted a lot of time trying to work out how to get negative numbers into her new toy (had never used or seen a +/- key) when she could have effortlessly performed the calculation mentally. Maths is one of my DD's strong suits and had it not been for this I believe that her score would have been higher.

We need to brush up on her exam technique but I am quite pleased for my DD because it shows that she is capable of holding her own even as a 4th grader. Had she known not to leave blanks perhaps her score would have been a little higher.

I am deeply disappointed that this test has been discontinued as it would have been an excellent measure of progress/ or lack of it going forwards.

Last edited by madeinuk; 03/05/14 05:23 AM.

Become what you are