Thank you all. I do have an older DD10 also in the gifted program but she's a high achiever so that made sense to me. The younger one is more of a mystery. @polarbear I will look into LD. She had an unbelievably terrible teacher last year and fell way behind (along with the entire class!) so this year has been catch up and now we are continuing the tutoring to maintain. Her MAP scores in math are high but the daily work is mediocre. I've been reading a lot about underachieving and one of the reasons "expends little energy on tasks that are not interesting" would fit very well. She's very defiant and if the material isn't her cup of tea, I can see her checking out.

@indigo Thank you for the info. I am reading that book currently and it is so helpful. Our district takes all kids who score in the 98th or 99th %ile on the CogAT. There is no limit to the seats and we live in MN with decent gifted funding. Our district and in particular our school is affluent so we have a large gifted population. Not exactly sure if that's a good or bad thing.

@nautigal Yes, I think so. That makes sense!

@2giftedkids Yes, I will continue to try to find things that interest her. She has always declined or resisted any type of organized activity (dance, gymnastics, language, music, camps of any kind, etc.) even if she loves the activity itself. She just always says "I like to do it MY way" even if she doesn't know how to do it without instruction. Frustrating but I'm sure I'll hit on something sooner or later.

Anyway, thank you all for chiming in. I guess I just want her to enjoy learning. I've been feeling so confused and quite unsuccessful as a parent so I appreciate the support and feedback. I think I just need to take a breath and relax.