Sounds like my DD, blackcat. Yes, we have "pushed" on handwriting, but it's always been our call, which has (only very very seldom) been punitive.

Keyboarding is a good solution-- but only if they offer instruction in keyboarding. Hunt-and-peck didn't make things better for my DD, if only because it came at a cost to ergonomics that impacted her in other ways. Hyperflexibility meant that she developed this WAY weird typing position with her hands. I can't even describe it-- it was this chicken CLAW thing. Augh.

The other thing that has helped is providing opportunities to practice in situations which are not pressured-- either for graded work or for time. Math note-taking was our vehicle in particular. DD was able to use her own handwritten notes on quizzes in AlgebraII, but the rules were quite strict about it, so she HAD a reason to take notes that were legible-- to her, at least. She could do it as slowly as she needed to in order to avoid fatigue or pain, but it had to be done.

KWIM?

A slant board never really helped DD much-- but a CLIP-board did. She still sometimes uses that method-- it's a lot steeper angle than a slant-board and it's held different-- closer to her body-- she often will keep the top of the clipboard (or stiff-backed notebook) on a table surface in front of her, and the bottom of it will rest in her lap.

It's probable about a 45 to 60 degree slant.

I don't know how you'd write any of this up for an IEP. The problem with a child who is both physiologically limited and also a bit unwilling to push him/herself is that it requires a judgment call on the part of someone who both knows and respects your child. {sigh}

There are days when I know that my DD is just being a bit lazy. Then there are days when I (equally) know that she is truly struggling with her physiology.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.