Was curious if this is a common trait among gifted children...my DS5 has had a knack for coming up with long and detailed games. The more convoluted the directions/steps - the happier he seems. He made up 2 new games this week and it just fascinates me in how in the world he comes up with his ideas. Sometimes they are so detailed that I have a hard time keeping up.

He made up a game where he used his special container of dice (he has a set of various sided dice that go up to large numbers - I think they were like D&D game dice)and a large box of popsicle sticks - He placed some sticks in a pile and he would roll the smallest denomination dice and the number it landed on, he counted out that many sticks - then it was my turn with that dice....then we would take the next sized dice (this one went up to 20), he placed 20 more sticks into the pile and we would do it again and would go through all 6 die that he has with us adding that many more sticks according to the number on the dice and rolling- the one with the largest number of sticks after the last dice roll wins....

then at the public pool today- he was having fun tracking his wet footprints on the sidewalk and was making shapes with the wet prints - he would get in the pool, ask me what shape I wanted "to order" (like he was in a drive thru window) and would get out and make that shape and would then ask for a certain amount of money to pretend that he got paid for making it - then it morphed into him asking me for the number of sides I wanted on my shape - so I would give him a number, he would tell me the name of the shape (decagon for 10, nonagon for 9...)and gleefully get out and leave a trail of wet prints and make a 9 sided shape and ask for $9.00...then he told me to make it harder by "doing plus and minus" so I would tell him can you make me a shape that is 10-7 and he would happily yell out - triangle, that will be $3.00. He was having a blast and we played this silly game for like an hour with him begging to make it harder - the life guards were probably trying to figure out what in the world my son was doing :-)

Anyone else have a child who loves to make up games?

Last edited by Belle; 06/19/08 09:13 PM.