It's been a little over a year since we realized what we're dealing with here. My DS7 kind of "exploded" into his PGness in the last 2 years or so. I always knew that he was gifted. But I didn't realize HOW gifted until we finally had him tested last year. In the last year we've had many struggles with school and finally decided to partially homeschool. But already I realize, I can't keep up. Specifically, in science and engineering - he has reached my limit.

DH and I were talking today about where we think he will be in a year's time. We think he will be in algebra and quickly make his way through it. So, he'll be 8 and done with algebra? He is chomping at the bit to take "real" chemistry and physics classes. To him this means, I guess, AP level classes.

I have been periodically checking in with the psych who tested DS. She has been a real help to us. But she always mentions that DS needs to create and build - that this is where his greatest "gifts" may be (and one of his greatest sources of pleasure too). DS is constantly talking about things that he wants to build and doodles his thoughts here and there. Some nights he can ramble on for hours in his bed, thinking and drawing the next thing that he wants to build.

I did not realize how quickly he would burn through material. We recognize that DS's attendance at school is purely social. He likes it, as long as it's limited to just a few hours. But his real education clearly has to happen at home. How do I home educate him in things like chemistry, physics and engineering? These are the kinds of things that need labs. How do I get him that practical part of his education that he needs and wants? Also, how do I address the design and build aspect of his giftedness? What kind of teacher/mentor/tutor do I look for?

Last edited by somewhereonearth; 02/15/14 08:28 PM.