Just met with special Ed team. One victory in that we will finally have a. 504 written. They have observed sensory issues and attention issues. No learning disabilities at this time and no need for special services... However...

Overall IQ came to 103. This just doesn't fit with the observations they are making and what so many feel - the kid is gifted.
The special Ed teacher said she had never tested a child in all of her life that acted "more adult like" during testing. She said that after each subtlest he was anxious and needed to know how many points he had earned and if he did well. She said he was anxious and that as the testing continued the latter tests had lower scores as the anxiety increased. They also note his vocab and his ability to observe and recognize things that most kindergarteners don't. He is on task and does his work when at his desk but group and center activities cause him issues and he is constantly correcting peers.

His academic scores were all "high average" and I have to ask at what point did he reach a ceiling. At what point do they say, we aren't testing past a certain point? They were impressed he could spell hat! I wanted to tell them at 1st quarter he spelled orange but they didn't realize the first class he was in was advanced but had a poor teacher fit. No we have a great teacher, but no advancement.

My second thought - he is 2e. He has sensory issues and attention issues. How can you test a child like this? Someone who tests 2e kids told me they rarely qualify for gifted programs. So all these teachers who know him outside of school feel like he should be in a gifted program. Will his scores improve with age? Will he at some point qualify based purely on academics? As he gets older I can see him improving in attention. Every year he is a little more in-sync.

I'm just frustrated that we can't prove it!!!