Originally Posted by polarbear
We've had good and bad experiences with online science classes.

Polar, what institution ran the ones that your DS liked?

he cruised through the class material independently and did very well in the class as well as the labs (which he did independently at home). The second online class he took, from the same institution, was a complete bust for him.

I think there are definitely well and poorly designed/taught courses-- the difficulty being that you don't know what you're in for until you've paid...

OTOH, he's bored to tears with the actual material presented in school, which is the reason he's wanted to take online courses.

I hadn't realized how bad things had gotten until DS came home very excited because *he had actually learned a new thing in science*. In January.

Ultimately what our ds has enjoyed the most have been summer science camps where he's in with a group of students. Last summer he had a camp at a university that was led by grad students and that's been his favorite so far.

Would you mind PMing me the name of the camp? Nothing is off the table at this point, though I do need to solve the school situation.

Thanks,
DeeDee