Originally Posted by blackcat
Does he lose focus when actually in the middle of work (as in being in the middle of a worksheet and then stopping and looking around or getting off task), or just during transitions or when trying to listen to directions?

It seems to me it's mostly when they transitioning and when directions are given. Usually, during the actual task he is on-task - except for the occassional dropped pencil (I have this at home - I swear I have never seen a kid drop his pencil so much. I know he has fine motor issues so I try not to let it annoy me (but, jeeze, DS if you could hold on to yoru pensil even 40% more often you'd be in good shape lol). I'd say it is pretty overwhelming when he is being given directions and the motor planning of transitions (not sure of that is the right word/phrase but it looks to me like he has trouble planning the movements that get him through the transitions - e.g., "it's reading time so I need to put away my math stuff, go to my cubby get my reading bag, return to my seat, open my book to th page we are on..." he can't seem to accomplish that in a timely fashion without help. And any time he is out of his seat getting something he talks a walk around the perimeter of the classroom before sitting down. I know why he does this - he is taking advantage of the transition to get movement/exercise in.

The worst report was math - during the lesson he looked like from the report he was completely zoned out. He was suppose to be doing problems on paper. Incidently, he is high in math (92nd percentile broad math score and does well on all of his tests). I think this could be boredom and a reluctance to do the writing involved - even though it is not necessarily much writing to us or a neurotypical kid, this kid has to think about each number as he writes it. Hence, my interest in seeing if a math app such as Panther Math Paper would help with this.

Last edited by Irena; 01/30/14 07:24 AM.