DD ignores adults when they ask her meaningless questions. When I ask her afterwards why she was being so discourteous, she tells me they were being discourteous first by asking such silly questions. So my first reaction would be that maybe your DS doesn't want to talk about fictional fox's favorite food because it just isn't all that interesting to him. If he is a sweetheart unlike my oppositional DD, please ignore me here.

DD gets really annoyed when I ask her comprehension questions but I force the issue by telling her that I need to know if she is paying enough attention to follow the story so she rolls her eyes and answers my questions.

If this isn't a compliance issue, I'd try talking throughout the book by asking questions and answering them myself with detailed explanations.

It's so interesting how each early reader is different from one another. DD needs to understand what she is reading. She can attack words and decode in isolation but she will not sit and read passages she doesn't understand.

ETA: I agree completely that reading to children is so very important. DD is on a princess stage (Frozen is a gift that keeps on giving...) so we've been reading this as our bedtime story:

http://www.amazon.com/Beauty-Beast-...0639040&sr=1-3&keywords=beauty+and+beast

It's not a book that she's ready to read on her own (1100L) but she is really enjoying it. We'll be watching the animated Disney version and do compare and contrast afterwards. It's not something we could do if we limited our reading selection to her independent reading level. smile

Last edited by Mana; 01/25/14 01:51 AM.