I'm in need of advice and resources regarding the WJIII. Important to note: our district has very low requirements for acceptance into GT. Since I had my daughter privately tested for ADHD I decided to submit those scores to avoid the school administered cogat and ITBS and put her through extra testing. Our school only requires 85% & above in ability and achievement to enter GT.

My daughter's IQ was 94% and GAI was 97.5% (unmedicated, we found after her testing that she has severe ADHD and is now doing better with meds.) Her WJ-III broad math was 89% and broad reading 87% I knew her achievement were not quite accurate, she is a stellar reader. Top reader in class, max'ed out all the reading assessments for several years now. However, since my district only needed a 85, I gave them these scores.

Today I finally called to get info since I haven't gotten a letter to start AG. Unbelievably, they tell me they are not going to put her in GT because her "passage comprehension" subtest on the WJ was only 84.... And they require 85 for reading achievement.

They are telling me that they use only one subtest called "Passage Comprehension" to determine gifted identification for Reading. They are denying her gifted reading services due to this one subtest.

My question is: what piece of the WJ-IIII should be used to determine reading achievement. I feel as if using one subtest is too narrow a view. If anyone has links to resources, research ,etc. I would love them! My district is very uneducated when it comes to Gifted Ed. I'd love to share. Thanks!