So my DD14 will be graduating this year-- she's obviously younger than many of her classmates, but we're game for her to do as much of the traditional stuff as seems age-appropriate and that she finds meaningful.

Other information-- she won't have a senior yearbook, really, as it's electronic and the kids don't really have a way of keeping a copy once they graduate and are locked out of the system. Because it is virtual school, most extracurriculars are independent OF the school. One exception is NHS, and DD has been an officer her entire career (both NJHS and NHS). She will graduate with honors and be recognized as such during the ceremony-- maybe even speak.

She's certainly graduating near the top of her class of 379, maybe even in the top spot (we simply don't know yet), and won't until June, as it's VERY close at the top end-- there are three or four of them with GPA's near 4.3-4.4 with grade weighting.

Okay, so with all of that said:

A. Senior portraits? Would you? DD feels that she'd like to wait until she is closer to 18, perhaps as she gets ready to finish college, before she does the formal good photographic portraits. I don't think that she's changing all that much in appearance, but I can sort of see her point, in that the yearbook photo isn't exactly going to be a keepsake thing for classmates, and we have very few extended family members to give pictures to at this point. I guess it's been about three years since we did pictures, though, and I'd like SOMETHING. It seems a little degrading to roll into Sears or Olin Mills with her, though... like she's a little kid. (eek) Senior portrait sitting on the rocking horse... hmmm... thinking NOT.

B. Class ring-- she's been a super-star with a lot of unusual activities (rifle, dogging, etc.), and could construct a VERY interesting 'class ring' as a keepsake. I'd completely support her wanting to do that. Do kids actually DO class rings anymore? Or not so much? Maybe it's regional? I seriously have no idea. This maybe seems more like a good idea to me since she won't have a yearbook. But I don't want it to be a dorky thing, and also... her hands are TINY... definitely child-sized fingers on her, in part due to her probable EDS leading to arachnodactyloid fingers. Maybe she would like a traditional one that she wears on a chain or something-- that would get around the sizing issue and the fact that at 21, a ring made to fit her snugly at 14 might not fit anymore. Would you do it? Or is there another idea of a milestone keepsake that would mark the end of some of those grade-linked high school things that have been important to her?

C. After-party-- school is sponsoring, so it's probably fine. But she'll (easily) be the youngest one there, and she IS a very pretty girl. Among 18yo's. Not sure how I feel about this one yet. She doesn't look obviously 14, nor does she necessarily act it, and many of her classmates and teachers don't know how young she is.

D. Graduation announcements? No clue who we'd even send them to, really... we're kind of informal, and the people we actually CARE about will probably be attending her graduation ceremony in person if able.

Anything else that I should think about??

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.