Polarbear and qxp - thanks very much.

He is much better orally and visually than with paper and pen tasks. His processing speed is fairly high average but probably lowered because of his dysgraphia not CAPD.

This would describe my son as well, though initial processing speed results showed he was weaker when compared to various other subsections of the test

I think your ds is in first grade this year? Or kindergarten? I have a few thoughts for you - sort of in backward order from your post, so hopefully that won't be too confusing!

He is in first grade. Thanks for all your thoughts. It made sense to me. By the way, I was really not thinking what the heck :-), but I do agree with you - it takes some effort to tease out exactly what is going on

My first thought here is that there are so many potential things that could be causing what you are seeing with the lag time.

The lag thing worries me a lot. He does follow along after a minute's lag, but it is for "everything" in a classroom environment. He is also not into team sports - especially, anything that involves a lot of hand-eye co-ordination (baseball comes to mind). He loves the sport as long as other people are playing it, but he seems to know he is not good at it, and does not even want to try. That worries me too.

It's possible that this is developmental or due to a different challenge, but this also sounds like it could be dysgraphia (the tiring after more than 4 sentences and the having to really work at it to improve). One thing you might want to take to your neuropsych interview are examples of his handwriting - other clues to dysgraphia are inconsistent spacing and letter size, reversals, mixing up caps and lower case, backward letters, lack of consistency in how the same letter is formed, crumpled up/messy/torn up paper etc.

He seems to have stopped with letter/number reversals (except for p's and 9's), but the spacing, and the sizing of the letters are still not good. I have samples from preschool onward, and while, yes, you can see an improvement, writing takes an inordinate amount of time. I'll definitely act on this suggestion -- very, very helpful

The teacher is naturally looking at it from a teacher's perspective - not all children develop beautiful handwriting early on. The neuropysch is going to be looking at your ds' samples from the perspective of being a professional trained in looking for issues who also has most likely seen a wide variety of handwriting samples from young children. He/she is going to be more able to identify an issue with handwriting (if it exists) simply because she's looking for potential issues, and because she has the training in what to look for, as well as having extra input to guide her that the teacher doesn't have.

Very well explained. This makes total sense to me.

Also, school-wise, I am not sure what to ask -- his teachers seem to know of his math/verbal/lang arts abilities, and his reading level is met somewhat (atleast they seem to be sending books with level O and beyond), though he can read pretty much anything (as long as content is appropriate). He does seem happier, so I am hoping he is being challenged in some way or he is just liking the friendly atmosphere.