Originally Posted by CCN
Originally Posted by aquinas
Would you happen to have any extra tips for parents of young sensory kids? I was extremely unimpressed at DS' swim instructor's suggestion to just jump into the pool and immerse him fully. It struck me as draconian and disrespectful to my son's wishes, so I ignored the advice and let DS swim gently above water at his leisure. I'm more than happy to wait it out and keep building a track record of positive experiences until he decides he's ready.

Yes!! I think listening to the instructor would have been a mistake. FWIW, my DS9 was very much like your DS about getting water on his face when he was younger - it horrified him. He's much better now, and I think part of it is because I waited for him to evolve and develop and didn't traumatize him.

Thanks for the validation, CCN! It struck me as a really effective way to create an aversion. It's reassuring to know that the sensory filter can be stretched as our children mature.

Will be following this thread with interest to hear the other veterans' feedback. smile

Happy New Year, all!!

What is to give light must endure burning.