Thank you so much for all of your responses, especially polarbear's extensive response. It makes sense that you'd want to remediate as much as possible as early as possible, and I definitely want to start out doing that ASAP, even without an official diagnosis.
I'm currently reading Dyslexic Advantage and everything is really clicking, and I'm getting even more confident that this is the issue. This book is making me see it as more of a "learning difference" than a "disability" and I welcome the challenge. One of my goals for homeschooling has been to sort of hack my kids brain to help him grow intellectually, after starting to get the feeling that he wasn't going to do well in a traditional school setting (which is somewhat difficult for me, since I did very well in school).
I will research testing options in the new year when I start to get more information on our new insurance plan. I know that we can't afford to pay for private testing and I don't think I want to go through the school system just yet. (He was initially tested through the school system last March or April, so it hasn't even been a year, and I've read that the scores achieved after age 6 are more indicative of the true strengths/weaknesses.)