As I've mentioned in a few posts here, I suspect my son has dyslexia, but he's only 5 and I know the school won't test him so young and I can't afford any sort of private testing.

I'm not dyslexic myself and I was an early gifted reader who just picked it up and took off, so I sometimes struggle with figuring out what's going on.

I'm considering working with my son using resources for dyslexics, like the Toe by Toe that someone mentioned here, or something similar.

We currently homeschool, but I'm curious what types of accommodations dyslexic children typically get in traditional schools. I know I should take a "can't hurt, might help" attitude, but I worry that if I work with him on working with this, that I could improve his function to a point where a test wouldn't recognize him dyslexic and he'd be denied the normal accommodations offered to children with dyslexia (e.g., I assume, longer time to take tests), especially if he does go to a regular school in the future. Does that make sense?

I know that something like that shouldn't hold me back from working with him, as the one thing I've heard from many parents of dyslexic children is that they wish they'd known earlier so that they wouldn't have "lost" the potential learning time from the 5-8 year range.

I'm just a bit of a planner and like to know what we might be looking at in the future. I don't really understand how dyslexia testing works and/or if working to overcome the challenges actually improves it or if it's just always there.

Thanks in advance!