Originally Posted by Bostonian
Earnings depend on the value one creates for others, so helping one's children prepare for high-earning careers is a "socially conscious" form of child-rearing.

Well, personally, I think that many people who work
for relatively low salaries (e.g. about average or less) create a lot of value for others. Examples include firefighters, ambulance personnel, any number of jobs at non-profits, and so on. These people create very high value for others. Good teachers of the same seniority at the same schools earn what bad teachers earn. So there is definitely some disparity in the value-creation:salary ratio there. People who plant food and pick it earn next to nothing, yet how would you eat without their efforts?

Alternatively, you'll have to work very hard to convince me that the guys at Enron created "value for others," unless you define "others" as "my friends in the next offices." Ditto for the bankers who wrought havoc on the world economy. On a more mundane scale, I spent a couple years earning a lot of money writing drivel and managing writers of drivel for a company that was creating software that sells virtual currency to kids. Everyone there was highly paid, and there was ZERO value for others being created. Actually, now that I think about it, that particular field is a negative producer in the value-to-others category.

So your argument is flawed.