Originally Posted by Space_Cadet
My understanding is that materialism means defining success / superiority / identity in terms of material possessions. But it can cut two ways... Some people cultivate a sense of superiority based on the things they have and some people feel superior for the things they do NOT have. Both types of materialistic thinking can be found at all income levels.

I recall my grandmother, way back when, being very proud of her piano. This possession signified "making it" in her mind. But she would never, ever be caught owning a dishwasher... Only a lazy, disorganized, self-indulgent sort of person would purchase that sort of a thing. laugh So, that is an example of a very materialistic person, who also happened to be financially constrained.

Speaking of dishwashers, I don't know anyone, including myself, that feels grateful for their dishwasher. Maybe the problem is that we have a tendency to appreciate what we have RELATIVE to the people directly around us. And we take for granted all the luxuries that seem standard in our area.

Anyway, I'm not sure it "works" to tell our kids to be grateful for their presents because other kids don't have as much. Doesn't this just reinforce the idea that being "fortunate" is signified by having more material possessions than some other person?

OH, I don't know about that.

Anyone that has been without one for any length of time appreciates a dishwasher. Particularly anyone who has lived with children and without one.

It doesn't take long, either-- a few days is all.

I also VERY much appreciate my refrigerator. wink

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.