We haven't done this for a while and technology is changing so fast, that I thought I'd post to make sure we are all up on what's working out there. Especially those of you who have recently gotten ipads up and running! If we can keep a running review of products we use, I know I'd find it valuable.

For our middle schooler dysgraphic, we use a windows laptop. Word for word processing, one note for compiling notes from various sources for studying, and for taking notes in class. Efofex for math. Paperport for scanning and typing on worksheets.

WORD is word, no need for a review.

ONENOTE: is OK but not ideal. It has the option to turn on the microphone while taking notes so you can listen back to what was said at the time you are typing notes. On a touch screen, which we don't have, you are supposed to be able to write into one note too. It's great for compiling notes and pictures into form that a kid can use for studying. What DS finds difficult is the filing system. It's nice that it saves everything without saving, but it's hard to do more than place things in folders for organization. A second issue is printing. It's easy to accidentally print out the whole one note folder rather than just the one document, and formatting is unpredictable when printed.

EFOFEX. DS primarily uses the Efofex equation. It is now in Beta for Mac. The other three are already on Mac. With the upgrades, DS has encountered annoying glitches. They are usually fixed eventually, but it has made for frustration. One issue that is not resolved is that if you don't use it imbedded in Word-- which DS prefers--- it will only print out a limited number of lines. The rest of the document just doesn't exist. So, for example, he does his math test, saves it in PDF on a flash drive, then gives it to his teacher to grade. Teacher sees only 2/3rd of the test. DS has to spend a bit of time guessing how much to put in different documents, usually copying and pasting through one note. Which is a problem with limited time on test days. When imbedded in Word, DS finds formatting problems that he has to go back and undo, and there's a lot of clicking to start writing in the box it gives you. DS is slow to change, so he still prefers efofex freestanding.

He used efofex for prealgebra and algebra, but much less so in geometry, finding that he would need to redraw his teacher's pictures. He uses PAPERPORT instead. You have to scan the document in, then open it, then click where you want to type and start typing. You can also save it as a PDF and type on it that way. Paperport has worked pretty well for DS for the past 5 years or so. We got it as part of the printer/scanner.

DS has an ipad in school and I'm curious what people use with the ipad.