I think working as a group has some great benefits. Almost a must with gifted kids. Whether it is a single student or several. Sometimes coming from a peer it can make a lasting impact.

My ds classes has several longer term projects in each class. On these projects the kids have a chance to have the teacher go over the work if they complete it early.
In LA they had to write a paper titled Characteristics of a Hero. My ds got it done early and I reminded him to run it by the teacher if he got the chance.
After school I asked him if he had the teacher go over the paper. He said the teacher said have one of your buddy read it. I asked what did he say. He said it was kind of "Listy".
I asked what did you do? He said he made a few minor adjustments, He said it reads more like a story now.
It seemed to me that the critic from the classmate stuck in his mind. In a very positive way. I don't know if this could have happened coming from a teacher.

All that to say, last year my son was nicknamed the Robot by a lot of his buddies at the public school he attended. He was the go to guy for help.
This year he goes to a private and this is totally amazing that they can share between classmates. He continues to gain respect for his peers.