Originally Posted by aquinas
Originally Posted by master of none
Yeah, at my dd's middle school today, I witnessed two adults working with a child who appeared to have autism. He has a new augmentative communication device where you press something and it talks. They were programming in all sorts of inappropriate things and having him press it and laughing that he was "saying" those things.
And the other kid, who talks, they were asking him questions and getting him to go on and on and smugly chuckling about it.

To me, what a child with a communication disorder needs is REAL conversation, not adult exploitation. I wish these two kids had socked those two aides.

Given your professional experience, that's probably worth a word to the principal. You're such a fair and even-keeled individual that I think the principal, who seems reasonable, would be horrified to know that happened in his/her school. That example made my skim crawl; that's probably not the first time they abused children.

Yes. That does seem to cross the line between ignorance and malicious intent. Any adult who thinks that is funny shouldn't be allowed alone with children.