Originally Posted by blackcat
I have thought about fine motor and just don't see it with her, except for the fact that she does not usually hold a pencil correctly.

Not holding a pencil correctly (especially when a student has been taught how to hold it) is one sign of a potential fine motor challenge. You've mentioned quite a few other things too that can all be signs of a fine motor challenge:

she is incredibly slow with written work in class

She had an 8 on coding and a 10 on symbol search.

she can be so strong in reading fluency but struggle so much with math fluency and speed on written tasks.

Her teacher says she is one of the slowest kids in the class for written work.

These can each be signs of other challenges too, but when you have the list of each combined... it's worth looking into testing for fine motor issues. Remember that "fine motor" doesn't just mean something entirely physical, such as a finger joint that is hypermobile or immobile - fine motor challenges such as dysgraphia are neurological in origin - somewhere there is a quirk in the link that exists between the brain wanting to do something and being able to get the fine motor muscles to actually carry out the command.

I can't remember - has your dd had the Beery VMI or any other test of visual-motor integration? Has she had the NEPSY? Finger tapping test etc? Have you tried timing her handwriting speed?

I'm also wondering if you've tried a simple experiment at home - have your dd write something using handwriting, have her write something similar using keyboarding, and have her "write" something similar by telling you about it verbally. Time the three of those tasks - how much slower was she with handwriting? Also look at the content as well as grammar/spelling/punctuation on the handwritten and typed work - are there differences? Improvements with typing?

I think that what is more important here than the actual subtest scores on coding and symbol search (and PSI total) is the combination of evidence that you have that handwritten timed tasks are a challenge - for whatever reason. It sounds like she needs accommodations no matter what the root cause - but otoh, you'll probably need a bit more of an understanding of what's up to really be able to put meaningful accommodations in place long-term. In the short term, I'd seriously consider asking for a scribe or keyboarding in class and extended time on tests.

polarbear