Thanks to all for the wonderful list! I am putting it all into a spreadsheet. My DS is reading at 4th grade level (this is the school's assessment, and I don't know how they assessed him). He loves non-fiction and I provide books related to his current interest and he reads the Story of the World series by himself. His favorite books at home are the Usborne science encyclopedia and the "The way things work".

My opinion is that he is reading at a level below his ability where fiction is concerened because Ninjas and Bionicles and Droon are the stuff that gets talked about the most in his social circle. And his taste tends to fast moving action packed adventures right now. I don't think that he can read The Hobbit yet. But I have read it aloud to him - he finds it and the Dr Dolittle series very slow and boring. But, he comprehends them 100%. And months later, he remembers a lot of it, though it seemed like he was uninterested while he was sitting through the read alouds.

But, where non-fiction is concerned, his curiosity seems to drive him to read material at the middle school level sometimes. He just took a book on alternative energy sources to school to read at free reading time because his current topic of interest is electricity.

Thanks for all your recommendations. Now, I have quite a few books that I can plan on sending in to school from all your posts.

Last edited by ashley; 11/06/13 11:17 AM.