Originally Posted by BlessedMommy
Has anyone had experience where their gifted children are in a mixed-ability classroom and still get an challenging, appropriate level instruction? How the teacher make this work?

"Can" it work? Yes, however, studies show that the majority of the time it has a much reduced affect as compared to pull-out programs for multiple reasons. First, few teachers understand how to be effective in a mixed-ability classroom and it usually takes specific training in order to do so. Second, it's far too easy for a GT teacher to simply become a second set of hands or "assistant" to the normal classroom teacher. Most schools are short on budget and short on teachers, it's convenient for them to use the GT teachers as substitutes when other teachers are gone, to "model" differentiation to class room teachers, or simply as support for an over crowded class room. Third, generally speaking, teachers are territorial and control freaks (I know, unfair stereo type but there is some truth to most stereo types) and they don't like other teachers intruding on their students, their classroom, and their teaching time. The truly important thing here are the TEACHERS and their ability. A good GT teacher will make any opportunity for GT kids to cluster a valuable experience, a less qualified GT teacher will do little in any cluster grouping to make the experience valuable.

As is typical, I see a great deal of discussion about the academic needs of a good gifted program and either nothing or almost nothing of the social / emotional aspect of gifted education and support. The best gifted programs I've experienced aren't just a list of classes available but also have a specific curriculum that is covered in a pull-out setting to educate gifted students on social / emotional issue, unique circumstances and issues those students are likely to experience BECAUSE they're gifted and how to deal / overcome them or where to seek help.

Often times, addressing the academic portion of a gifted child's life is the EASY part in comparison to the social / emotional aspect of a gifted child's life. If I had an ideal program I'd want someone well trained in this who isn't just a teacher but a gifted counselor as well.

Last edited by Old Dad; 11/06/13 09:36 AM.