Originally Posted by BlessedMommy
Has anyone had experience where their gifted children are in a mixed-ability classroom and still get an challenging, appropriate level instruction? How the teacher make this work?

My DD9's 1st grade teacher was the only one who made it work. (in our experience) She did reading and Math test for all the kids in the class and she put them 4 to 5 groups (some in different Math group and reading groups) and gave them appropriate instruction and class work. I was so impressed because my DD was coming home with 4th grade level reading books and 3rd grade level Math homework. And I found that other kids got different homework as well. I couldn't imagine how she found time to do all those differentiation. Well, it lasted for all of 3 months. Some parents complained that their kids did not get the attention that they need (the teacher spent same amount of time for advance kids who is doing >2nd grade work). She took maternity leave as well and that was it.

Same room differentiation is quite hard especially with large student/teacher ratio.