We start cognitive testing Tuesday. We know that our son has sensory issues in the sense that his senses are acute. He also likes messy play and rough housing, but the sensory issues aren't extremely pronounced. I can tell his tired and has had too much when he starts being silly or very irritable. He has poor handwriting and does get distracted. However his focus is pretty normal at home sitting at the table working on homework. His handwriting is legible but not great, but he actually scored really well during our OT testing with manipulating things with his hands.

How can I be sure we find the right diagnosis, and how do I know that his sensory issues aren't part of (poor description, but I don't know how to phrase this) "normal giftedness quirks". How can he be so "normal" when we are together despite his challenges with handwriting and thinking he knows everything? How can a doctor differentiate distraction from sensory issues and acute senses verses ADHD? The kid gets distracted, but has a memory like a steal trap? He also seems to have a certain amount of control of his behaviors. Is it ADHD, sensory overload, or boredom in class?

Any ideas?