I had a bunch of in-class differentiation planned, agreed and implemented on behalf of my DS. All of them failed for 2 reasons: the teacher did not have any bandwidth to implement differentiation in a meaningful way or my DS felt like an outcast when other children questioned him about why he was getting to do "special" stuff and he refused the differentiation outright in order to "fit in".
That being said, the main strategies for differentiation we used (and which were inadequate/failing) were:
1. Seperate reading group for him with books at his level (DS was in tears over this because he was the only kid in his reading group and he is ultra social and wanted to sit with the cool boys in his class for reading group).
2. Work packet sent from home by parents for math time and craft time - I sent in Singapore Math worksheets at a higher grade and special cut and paste work sheets for his small motor skills (Teacher had no time to give out the stickers I sent in when he finished the work and many times forgot to tell him to do his work packet. DS refused the packets because when he used them, the other kids crowded around him and termed it "not fair" that he got a special work packet and he felt that he was doing something bad to them).
3. Accomodation from librarian to attend rading time for higher grade and to check out higher grade books. (this actually worked)
4. Computer lab accomodation to access Type To Learn and some special LA packages meant for higher grades.(this worked after the teacher told kids not to peek at other people's screens)
Good luck.