Originally Posted by blackcat
Thanks polarbear, yes I was asking you. I think I'm confused because with DCD I thought everything with motor skills was pretty much poor. So how is it that your DS is able to do well on OT assessments?

Maybe it depends on the type of assessment. The assessment I was referring to was an intake assessment - I'll look up the details later this afternoon and post them.

My DS does well on any fine motor task that also involves visual processing...so for instance he can draw the state of Texas pretty well from memory (or any other random state).

This is true for my ds too - he's really *really* good at drawing, and my take on it (from knowing him well) isn't that he's all that artistic but that he thinks in pictures. I've also been told that it isn't unusual for dysgraphic kids to be able to draw without problems even though they can't handwrite because handwriting requires a lot of picking the pencil up off the page and putting it down somewhere else, where drawing is more continuous flow - plus when you're drawing you're not having to replicate a specific set of instructions such as how to write a letter.

The school is in the process of evaluating him and I'm worried that they are going to come back and tell me he is just fine for writing, whereas if they just asked him to manipulate small objects or tap his fingers he would tank it. So does that mean he is not dysgraphic, he just has DCD? When he writes, the main problem seems to be controlling the pencil and it goes in directions it's not supposed to go. I guess I'm confused about how this all ties together.

Everything you've posted sounds to me (again, just a mom lol!) like dysgraphia - and I've been in that same position where the school's evaluation says "everything is fine!". I'm going to come back in a few minutes and post some things we looked at and used to show the school that there was an issue with our ds - if I accidentally forget, pm me and remind me. I would do it now but I am out of time at the moment smile

polarbear