Originally Posted by madeinuk
Frankly, those that needed to memorize the algorithm never understood the two arithmetic operations of multiplication and division properly - it has nothing to do with fractions per se.

That's not the point he's making. It's not that kids need to memorize an algorithm, it's that they don't have a choice in the current teaching system. He's saying that 1) yes, it is all interconnected and 2) the background stuff demonstrates stuff in point 1. If you read the materials I linked to, you'll see that.

So, I agree with dr Wu if all he IS saying is that at each stage, a solid conceptual understanding needs to be there before the next stage is introduced and acceleration for its own sake should not be considered without proof that that understanding is there. That is real rigor and I fully support THAT.

Again, read that document in the first message in this thread for your answer. Here's another link to it.

However, has anyone here actually corresponded with said Dr to confirm that is what he means?

From the little that have read from links posted here his words could be interpreted either way and most of us know how many school administrators will interpret them...

I wrote to him about the acceleration piece two days ago. No reply yet.

Last edited by Val; 10/29/13 11:31 AM. Reason: What was I writing?