Originally Posted by Bostonian
From Wu's article:

If next year's math curriculum is consistent with the CCSSM, then students in North Carolina will learn the following topics that are not in the previous fifth-grade standards: the correct way to add, subtract, and multiply fractions; the correct way to divide whole numbers by a unit fraction and a fraction by a nonzero whole number; the reason why the area of a rectangle is the product of (the lengths of) the sides when the side lengths are fractions; a correct way to think of volume; and a correct conception of a coordinate system.
The word "correct" is used often above. What does it mean? Were 5th grade students previously not taught to multiply fractions using the formula

a/b * c/d = (a*c)/(b*d) ?

My 8yo is learning to do this in EPGY 5th grade math.

My DD is no Maths prodigy but she had all arithmetic operations on vulgar fraction 'down' by 7 just from talking about it with me from the back seat while we drove to places.

Why should she have to wait for everyone else?

I had no intention of 'accelerating' her Maths but just kept giving her stuff and she just seemed to effortlessly get it so we kept going.

I was reading about the uptick in hip displasia in infants being attributed to an uptick in the practice of swaddling. Apparently, the joint needs full mobility in the legs to develop properly.

What would we be doing to our kids' minds in 'swaddling' them by unnaturally restricting their natural learning abilities?

Last edited by madeinuk; 10/29/13 06:19 AM.

Become what you are