Originally Posted by blackcat
What about the other way around? Teachers forwarding on emails that parents have sent? The more I think about it, the more annoyed I am getting at the fact that my emails with personal info about my kids keep getting forwarded. A week or two ago I called the person in charge of the gifted/talented program. She never called back. So I decided to send an email in hopes of actually getting a reply. In the email was very detailed info about both of my kids, including info about test scores and their disabilities. She responded saying "I'm including X, Y, and Z in this discussion" (high level admin people). So my email was forwarded to at least 3 other people in the district, and I had no say in it. It was at least nice of her to tell me she was forwarding it and who she was forwarding it to, because normally that doesn't happen with DS's IEP manager. I know she is forwarding my messages, but I'm never quite sure to whom or which messages are forwarded.

I've dealt with that by being VERY aggressive in 504 meetings about "need to know" and my child's right to medical privacy. They know better than to cross me there.

I've flatly told administrators and attorneys in meetings that if they circulate the information about my child widely, or otherwise paint an identifying target on her back-- they are handing other people the means to kill her-- without necessarily also ensuring that those people understand the gravity of the information they've just been handed, or believe it. I was particularly testy when they were distributing such information to other parents. Bad, bad juu-juu.

So they are mostly afraid of me. Sorry-- that probably doesn't help you.

I basically assume that unless I specify confidentiality, ANYTHING that I put into an e-mail is at least hypothetically going to be circulated.

That's how I've learned to operate, though.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.