We have done quite a bit of block scheduling for science, history and literature. My DS and I both love doing these subjects this way-just focusing on it for the most part instead of switching every half hour to another subject-we can really fly. I am trying to do a little math every day (4-5 times a week). He enjoys it but doesn't seem to like to do it in blocks. 22B, you seem to be a k12 veteran...any other ideas or thoughts you have are most welcome!

Our real struggle is with spelling. By the end of 1st grade my DS had become so anxious and stressed over spelling that we almost completely backed off working on it formally at school. We tried modifying the writing portion of it but that didn't help much. Today was the first day I got out the lesson. His anxiety immediately flared. I had him write a little and then switched to giving him scrambled scrabble tile letters for each word. He then worked on spelling each word by unscrambling/spelling. I can't decide how hard I should push him on spelling. He is doing VT and hoping that will help with his visual memory & spelling. One part of me believes that insisting and pushing will do more harm than good at this point. Then there is the side of me that worries I am being to easy on him. Although, I know his struggles are genuine with spelling. Any thoughts??!!

I just reread the title of my thread and realize I have kind of veered off course. Please excuse my mental chaos! smile

quinn17