Hi all-

As you may recall from my previous posts, I have been "homeschooling" my ds7 (2nd grade) with k12 public option for about 1 month now. He attends brick/mortar school 2 afternoons a week, where he receives special ed. services and recess/time with his class.

So far (fingers crossed) it is going well! No big behavioral challenges or changes at home or school.

The only thing that is kind of starting to concern me is being able to get through all the lessons in the k12 curriculum. It is not that they are too difficult for my ds, but at times we delve deeper and don't get a "formal" lesson completed for a while in a subject. Of course then there are times we breeze through 2 formal lessons in no time!
Also, we are kind of skipping around based upon his interests. For example, he has had an interest in greek mythology for several years. He heard about Perseus and Medusa from somewhere which sparked his interest. If we are studying ancient Rome in history and discussing how Romans borrowed many ideas from Greece doesn't it only make sense to do the Roman/Greek Mythology unit in literature at the same time?!

I do view the curriculum as a whole and anticipate being able to complete it by the end of the school year... but I do find myself a little panicky at times if I start focusing on having to get through a certain number of lessons a month. Yikes!

Ending on a happy note: my ds has started making his own scrambled eggs for breakfast during this past month! smile Of course with a little prompting and stove supervision from me. He's proud and that is so cool to see!

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas!

Best wishes to all-
quinn17