Originally Posted by Irena
What seems to support this additionally is that he does have problems with the PRI part of the WISC - when he came out he complained "those picture sections are so so hard! I can't take it." His PRI is more than one standard deviation lower than his VCI. He did well on block design but complained bitterly it was so hard, and he barely survived picture concepts and picture completion and scored very low on both. The neuropsych noted to me that he simply had to spend so much more time on the pictures to get the right answer and he became too tired and fatigued and started just guessing to get through it.

So, I hope this helps you. I guess my short answer to you is that if is not dyslexia, it could be a visual processing disorder. You should have him checked by a COVD developmental optometrist http://www.covd.org/ ... The up side is that in my experience finding a COVD vision therapy is easier and less expensive than finding decent intervention for dysleixa - and that is saying something!

My little guy seems to be the opposite, in that he struggles with verbal activities but not reading or visual activities. I've read that hyperlexia is the neurological opposite of dyslexia, and DS seems hyperlexic. His score was in the 140's for PRI but 27 points lower for verbal.
One thing that might help both you and OP is getting a visual perception assessment done. Since DS had a TBI and had some obvious convergence and visual tracking issues (which I think are gone now 9 months after the accident), his OT did this test. It has about 6 or 8 different subtests measuring various aspects of visual processing. For instance, one is recognizing forms in different contexts. Another is finding forms that are hidden. Another is visual memory. It's called the Test of Visual-Perceptual Skills. It might pinpoint what exact issues in vision are causing the problems.