DS5.1 has always had problems with following directions when pointed to something, or even when you describe where the item is. Say you want him to give you a water bottle that he has on the floor among his lego blocks, games, books (he keeps a lot of stuff spread on the floor, just like I tend to spread it everywhere). You point to it, he's standing right next to it, you say it's next to "xyz" on your "left /right side" or "behind you" "in front of you" and while he knows the meaning and looks in that general direction, he still does NOT see the object? He just had a school required vision exam for Kindergarten entry and everything was fine but that was just a very basic check up.
On the other hand, give him a book / print out page / video game on a tablet and he notices every little detail instantly! He sees connections in his games I don't see after looking at it many times! It's like he scans it instantly and it just stands out for him from that point on.
I just don't understand how he can be so "blind" to everything around him and so tuned into something in his face?
I am trying to find a developmental optometrist that would take our insurance but makes me wonder if anyone else has kids with similar issues? And I know he really DOES see well overall say when we are outside, the board at school, riding in the car. It's something about the distance of maybe 2-10 feet around him that throws him off?