Originally Posted by La Texican
I think it's like asking the question whether kids need more education or more busywork. I guess some people think redshirting builds confidence, but I think education builds skills and that self confidence comes from ability.

Excellent point. Ties in nicely with the "Excessive Homework" issue, really. I mean-- seriously?? Why do 2nd graders need "homework?" Shouldn't they get a broad weekly sort of "parents-and-me" something-or-other and otherwise have time for things like playing and sleeping??

At least-- it used to be that self-esteem and confidence came from mastering challenges. Before we got to a place where everyone needs to be 'supported' to earn straight A's, etc. Now "challenging" means something entirely different. It's a matter of fortitude and stamina. Not competence at more difficult tasks. Heavens no.

Well, I suppose it is a different sort of challenge.

What I can't quite figure out is how this really "levels" anything. Because the kids who can work FASTEST are now the ones at the head of the pack... well, them and the ones with involved (or over-involved) parents, or those with parents proactive enough to identify learning challenges and shield them from the worst of these abuses.

It's only the kids whose parents aren't involved or who have overlooked learning challenges who really wind up behind.

Hmm.

Well, the more things change the more they stay the same. Whaddya know? whistle

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.