I originally posted this in Recommended Resources but didn't get any responses so I thought it might do better here in the 2E section...

DD8 (third grade) just started in a special ed out of district placement. The school was very clear that they don't have a 2E program or other 2E kids but have been bending over backwards to try to accommodate the giftedness along with the learning disabilities and anxiety. They plan to offer special projects in the areas of science and social studies as well as one-on-one instruction on high level audio books.

They are placing her in 2 reading groups - one for her decoding level and one for her comprehension level. They had talked about grouping her with the 5th-6th graders in her area of the school for this but today asked if we would be ok if they grouped her with the middle schoolers instead. We told them that we are fine with whatever they want to try. I figure as long as she can discuss the books she will enjoy it and it is better to have her start somewhere...

There will be 3 middle schoolers with her and they will be using the Holt McDougal grade 8 literature series. I know nothing about this. She will listen to the audio books rather than read the texts.

Is anyone familiar with what this series may entail? High level comprehension is one thing but she is still 8 years old so I am always a bit concerned about age appropriate content. She is almost done with Oliver Twist and has already listened to Tom Sawyer and all 7 Harry Potter books so has been exposed to violence, racism, inappropriate language, etc. We have kept her pretty well shielded from sexual content - would that be a concern at this level? Anything else I haven't thought of?

Thanks in advance for your input.