Well, but that's the catch, see-- LOTS of parents pressuring schools to let their kids take more-more-more of these prep/AP classes, but then complaining about the rigor once they get into them.

Technically, AP courses ARE supposed to be both WAY more work and WAY faster. College level, right?

So I understand placing barriers to keep out the kids who truly shouldn't be in them due to not being able to keep up with the pace or output expectations-- and to keep the level of instruction appropriately high, which has quite frankly become quite a problem in the AP program during the last ten years or so...

the problem with "AP for all" is that it turns into an AP free-for-all, if you see what I mean. Parents want kids to be earning good grades and passing AP tests. Otherwise, they figure, what is the point?

I consider that attitude about any class to be something of an abomination-- because it leads straight down the rabbit-hole to "test-prep-land."

Which is exactly what AP has become in all too many cases. Because there are too many kids in those classes now that have no real business in them (that is, if you NEED to take a full year of "physics" before tackling AP Physics B, uhhhhh-- maybe AP isn't for you, YK?) they devolve into test-prep vehicles to keep butts in seats.

So-- easier work. Check. (Busywork, as it happens). LOTS of it... because that way we can still claim adequate "rigor" in the curriculum... see, look how hard the students must work in our AP offerings... smirk (like hamsters running on wheels, but hey...)

Test preparation-- check, again.

Deep understanding? Er-- only inadvertently for most students. Faster pacing-- suuuuuuuure... an inch deep and ten miles wide equals... a hydrofoil. wink

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.