Sorry, this is a bit rushed. It seems to me there are too many people walking around in the world unhappy in their work. If she has a genuine passion I'd support her in it for as long as she was interested but, as per the PPs, I'd also keep the doors open on as much as possible. My daughter's test scores show she should be off the charts with maths, but she couldn't care less about it currently. Her area of passion is humanities related and so we support her with that and she has a mentor in that field. We found various ways to involve her in it and stuck with whatever she has enjoyed. But ... we've still made sure she's in (and have been lucky enough to find) a school environment where she's accelerated in math by a number of years as a matter of course. She's not working where she could be at maths wise, but she's not languishing.

Most of the parents of PG kids I know come from families with STEM backgrounds and without fail they are concerned about any of their kids who have an interest in humanities, and wonder how they can get them back on track. I on the other hand come from a (where tested) EG/PG family that pursued humanities (with STEM hobbies - we're a bit backwards!) From my experience there is some extraordinary work to be done in the humanities and to my mind, as the world becomes more complex and we need to understand the social and economic mechanations that underpin it - and need people to be able to articulate them (the value of great writers like your daughter!) - the humanities are vital. STEM is too of course, but having seen what can be achieved from a humanities base and being aware of just how complex it can become, it's not an area we should feel is 'lesser' or 'not hard'. Sure it can be done at a superficial level and often is (hence the Arts degree clichés), but once you get beyond that, the contribution that can be made in terms of policy development, social justice, social entrepreneurship, business, applied ethics and so on, is fantastic and exciting.