Aaaand more of the same homework came home today. I'll just have him do the writing part (practicing writing numbers) because his writing is absolutely horrible but the math part, I won't bother. He'll get another one of our home worksheets. Eventually the teacher will say if she likes it or not. Until then, I don't think I really care! I want my kid to LEARN and not be bored.

I just had a little flashback ... DSS now 20 moved in with us when he was 12 and while he was pretty smart and could understand complex ideas, he had serious problems with simple math. He was in 6th grade and had trouble telling me what 2 + 2 was. He REALLY had to think! I don't remember anymore what the categories on his MAP testing were but he would always score in the 85th-95th percentile on all categories, except the one that dealt with the very basics where he'd get scores in the 40s. I guess he was one of those kids who needed the early reinforcement and didn't get it?

But for what it's worth, DS5 is no genius but he got the basic addition and subtraction idea figured out from Vtech video games before he turned 3. Since then he's been suffering through preschool and now Kindy math. We HAVE to make it more fun for him. He used to LOVE math but since he started preschool last year, the love pretty much disappeared frown