Thanks for the input. The regular opthamologist insisted he wear a patch on his good eye (with at least 3 every day with no patch) because she was worried about amblyopia and that he'd lose his vision in his bad eye. I think he did lose a small amount of vision in between the time of the accident and when we started patching, but then regained it. Small kids (probably toddlers-preschoolers) are especially prone to losing their vision.
The OT told me to take him to a neuro-opthamologist and I'm hoping she is helpful. If not, I will try a developmental optometrist. Since there is a brain injury, I'm worried there will be information that an optometrist wouldn't be entirely familiar with. The OT said that he should get vision therapy but most insurance plans won't cover it, so they will try to work on vision in regular OT first. I remember last summer, before he was even in the accident, his old OT mentioned that he has eye tracking issues and I wish I knew whether they are worse now. She didn't seem to think it was a big deal and didn't work on vision in therapy so I'm guessing it's worse now. The new OT said that since he had double vision and was patched for months, he probably learned to use one eye at a time and therefore doesn't know how to use them together anymore. So, he becomes disoriented when looking at a Where's Waldo book and he also tends to skip words/lines when he reads.

Last edited by blackcat; 09/04/13 06:07 AM.