Hi JBdad,

Congrats on moving forward and investigating what options are available at school to help him learn.
I would definately ask what they are learning in K and what they need to master in order to move on in first.
That should tell you a lot about whether or not the K classroom is appropriate.
If you've been reading posts you probably know by now that a kid far advanced from his grade level curriculum can be very happy in K not advancing in achievement. There is a lot to learn socially as well. Also, it could be a total disaster as in my second daughter's case.
A couple of things. I come from a VERY gifted denial family so it's very difficult for me to be blase concerning the fact of my child's giftedness. I tend to want to minimze things, so as not to be a trouble, or different. I was conditioned to have this somewhat kneejerk response by my upbringing.
Second, I had an exceptionally successful year advocating for my girls. It wasn't perfect, but I've been told I made more progress than most and that I am a genius. In the past I would have completely rejected that compliment and the idea that I am anything other than ordinary.
However, If I believed that about myself or my daughters, how could I expect the school to believe any differently? Thus, why would they attempt to make accomodations for them?
My best advice for you is to spend some time addressing the GT denial you have just mentioned. If you go into the school wishy-washy concerning your child's educational needs it's going to be really difficult to get anywhere.
Third, I would suggest you attempt to figure out what your child already knows to help you decide if K is a good fit.
Lastly, I always think it's a good idea to go into a meeting with a firm expectation of what questions you would like an answer to and what are you trying to accomplish for your child.
I hope this e-mail doesn't come across as abrupt. I am just pretty matter of fact about this stuff when discussing.
I wish you all the best and hope your meeting accomplishes what you want.
Keep us updated, I would love to hear another success story!

Neato