"I have mixed feelings on tracking because it's obviously a complex issue, but no one benefits from avoiding the truth, whatever it may be. If the truth is that disadvantaged kids lose out from tracking and our kids benefit, we need to look at that honestly and consider what can be done--not just focus on our kids. If the truth is that our kids lose out by not tracking, but disadvantaged kids gain, the system needs to not just blow off our kids, but take that seriously as well."

Yes. Totally agree. And this is coming from someone with kids in a school that does not accelerate or track until 8th grade. Granted, we have a (relatively) very small population of disadvantaged kids here, but this is a very important point. I also wanted to go against the grain mention that we have been fortunate to have had a very positive experience with in-class differentiation- once. The teacher has to be exceptional, and there needs to be at least 1-2 other kids in the class somewhat near your kid's level, but it can be done.

DS is about to enter the same class, which was fantastic for our DD; the school created a mix of special Ed and high GT kids, and armed them with 2 teachers, one a spec Ed teacher and one an expert at differentiation, and the outcome was a huge win-win, with everyone getting their needs met, more-or-less together. I am not sure how they justified the whole plan and it was decidedly under-the-radar for those not involved in the class- I'm sure they were wary of parents who felt these kids were getting "more" of something. Seems like it will take a seismic shift in mindset, for both teachers and parents.

Last edited by cricket3; 08/21/13 10:22 AM.