This is a clear (and I say this as someone who grew up learning the peculiar language of elementary educators in an immersion environment) coded message for

in-class differentiation.

Probably to rather limited practical affect, at that. "Enriched" for the center of the distribution unfortunately looks very little like "enrichment" that HG kids need in early elementary.

It also has a bit of the subtext that it's wrong of the GT children to be selfishly "sucking up" all of those resources directed JUST at them...

Sorry, but I've seen this kind of attitude before-- and it has used pretty much the same language for forty years. That finishing statement is EXACTLY what my mother (a lifetime educator) firmly believed. Even though such an outlook actively damaged me as a child.

The one effective tool that I ever found for combatting this set of beliefs with educators was the question;

What, then, about "high expectations" for highly capable children? Don't their expectations need to be "higher" by definition?

But I'm going to make a prediction here-- I predict that such inquiry will be met with "Oh, but _____ can learn other things in the classroom... like helping. Sharing... being more compassionate and developing social skills with age-mates. Fostering patience."

Which of course is based on a number of other assumptions.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.