Ohh-- and be aware that in some places, "homeschool-homeschoolers" may not be all that welcoming. After all-- you're still associating yourselves with a virtual school, see...

Which, to be clear, I have nothing against. Obviously. We're entering our 8th year doing the same thing. So clearly there are benefits, not the least of which is not having to buy multiple sets of curriculum each year for a HG kid that eats through them like potato chips!!

So, social advice here?

If...

1. most friends/family are against "homeschooling" (why? because it's 'hippy-dippy' or because it's what isolationist zealots do, maybe? Anyway-- it's weird.)-- point out that you are not homeschooling. You're making it easier to meet your child's needs for acceleration and enrichment by using a charter school via a distance model. It is, too a real school. With report cards and everything. HA.

2. you encounter friends who are pro-homeschooling or ANTI-school (yes, you'll meet them in the homeschooling community, trust me), nod and smile, and point out the HOME-LEARNING environment, your commitment to "spend this time WITH my child" and the like. Flexible pacing, flexible scheduling... (just leave out the part about school-required dates, health forms, and that kind of thing). This also prevents a proselytizing sermon about how you are MORE than equipped to homeschool, you certainly don't need anyone choosing curriculum for you, etc.

Good luck, by the way!

smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.