Right-- if she switched to German at the college level, she's about right for a second semester class of German I.

On the other hand, since we're on quarters here, I'd have her start with German 112, or second quarter, German I. For F2F instruction in a classroom, though, that is going to be very problematic, since (local uni) doesn't even have enough seats for THEIR OWN fully-enrolled students. That is also (by far) the most expensive option. Their online course is-- in the opinion of another parent who is reasonably proficient in Swiss German-- is horrible from a teaching standpoint. It has all of the same structural problems that the Connections class has-- amplified by about X3, apparently. So. Wouldn't be my top choice, by any means, as it would probably mean hiring a tutor to help DD through the class, in any event.

The other option is to have her do a different language that she CAN easily get a seat in at the college level-- probably Spanish. Can do that through the CC, and I can take it with her. But I do have some concerns about that looking like dilettantism, as kcab notes.

On the other hand, if she were to continue studying German independently (with said Swiss-German friends and our Czech neighbor who is also fluent) and take the SAT II as well as taking Spanish at the CC, that could look like a legitimately better thing than the second year of HS German on her transcript.

I'm just not sure how she'd fit that all in with everything else she's got going on.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.