HK - Whatever you choose to do, find a way to put a note in her common application stating that the high school dropped German her senior year, so she did 'whatever' to continue her German studies. It probably actually doesn't matter too much what she does as long as she does SOMETHING. She is a rising senior, right? So any self study/AP-CLEP option will come to fruition (taking the test) after her admission decisions are complete. She also could possibly take an online course at a college (if you search for "online german classes college credit" some options come up). You would have to pay (but honestly, you would have to pay for CTY too!). You also might just check with the other talent search programs like NUMATS and TIPS to see if they are offering anything, although I think it is unlikely.

The common app changed this year and I am not sure if they still allow this, but previouly there was a section where you could put "additional information". This is just the kind of stuff that goes in there. I would not sweat it too much... my D2 dropped foreign language altogether 2nd semester of jr year due to a scheduling conflict. She self studied and picked up the next year again. Colleges did not seem to care at all.

It could actually work in her favor. Colleges like to see that the kid showed some kind of initiative to go beyond what their high school offers and to get over roadblocks when they occur.

Last edited by intparent; 08/14/13 07:49 AM.